Wednesday, March 25, 2009

Views from the island



Dear friends,
We were at full tilt on my first full day on Williams Island Farm. Noah, Kelsey, Ryan, Felicja, Ashley, and I sowed eggplant and lettuce, planted cabbage, fertigated garlic and strawberries, modified the greenhouse, fixed the compost spreader, milked the goats, fed the sheep, harvested shitake mushrooms, collected chicken eggs... and so on.

For those of you wondering where the working title "Cracks in the Pavement" comes from, here are some notes on the title's origin I hurriedly jotted down on a legal pad over a year ago when I was just starting to brainstorm for the writing project.

A short post today. Just wanted to share some photos and some of the excitement of being in this lovely place and being blessed with good work and good friends.

Cheers,
Chad

2 comments:

  1. Oi Chado! We're thinking of you over there, glad you made it out there safe and your hands are dirty already.
    Just a thought on "being blessed with good work". In a recent work session in our front yard digging up the remains of our water-wasting lawn, three of us were commenting on how good it feels to be outside and huffing fresh air while we manually labored. So much work these days is not-so-good work, cooped up in recirculated air, moving as little of our bodies as possible. People keep asking me why I don't just rent a machine of some sort to easily finish ripping up the dirt. Although it's questionable how much time I should be spending doing this, I still feel so much better using my own strength to do a job that otherwise would require gasoline(getting the machine, and the machine itself) to accomplish.
    Manual labor is not a dirty word!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Chad.

    You-all look like some of the good old Back-to-the-Earth dropout hippies of my youth.

    Great good fun, isn't it?

    And that dog sure do like to play!

    Enjoying your adventures!

    ReplyDelete